Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Review: Get Well Soon by Julie Halpern

(summary from goodreads)

I am sitting at a desk in the middle of a hallway, and all of the lights are off. No one will tell me what they're going to do with me or how they're going to help me or how long I have to be here. They just plunked me down in this freaky place, told my parents not to worry, and now I'm stuck.


Review: This book sat in my TBR pile for months upon months before I actually picked it up to read. I don't usually read books that take place in a mental hospital, so I thought a new placement and only 193 pages would help this book go by quickly. That was not the case. 


After the months of avoiding this book it took me about 2 and a half weeks to actually read it. I'm all for books that just tell what's happening on a day to day basis with the main character, but this book seemed to have no plot. Anna talked about the rules of the hospital. Anna told us what she did at the hospital. Anna couldn't wait to leave the hospital. But she knew she was only in there for a few weeks so it wasn't as if her getting out was part of the plot. This added to my confusion of what exactly the plot was. 


Anna herself also annoyed me. She seemed to be constantly complaining and would either obsess about something/someone or completely over exaggerate.


Overall this book was very hard to get through. It was lacking a plot and a good main character. On the bright side, it did have a nice setting.    

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...