Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

(summary from goodreads)

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...
A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

Review: If I Stay is a truly heartbreaking book. I cried in this book more than I have in any other book. That is not to say that it was a bad book. It was exceptional, just very emotional. 

I was happy that the initial accident happened early on so that the plot could get moving. And get moving it did. Even though the entire book takes place in one day, it seems like I learned Mia's entire life story through her flashbacks. 

The characters also made this book as real and touching as it was. Even though I mostly only knew about Adam and Mia's other friend's through her eyes, they were still surprisingly real and alive.

Gayle Forman has found a way to write something that is deeply touching and heartbreaking at the same time. I have yet to read any of her other books, but I can only hope that they are just as good as If I Stay. 

1 comment:

Heather said...

This one sounds terribly sad :( I would be interesting to read. The last book I read like this was The Horse Whisperer.


Check my pick out HERE

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...