Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lipstick Apology by Jennifer Jabaley

Title: Lipstick Apology
Author: Jennifer Jabaley
Published: August 6, 2009 by Razorbill

Pages: 286/Hardcover
Source: My personal library


Summary: Sometimes a good-bye is just the beginning...

When Emily Carson's parents die in a plane crash, she's left with nothing but her mother's last words scrawled in lipstick on a tray table: "Emily, please forgive me."

Now it's fall and Emily moves to New York City where she attracts the attention of two very different boys: the cute, popular Owen, and her quirky chemistry partner, Anthony. With the help of some surprising new friends, Emily must choose between the boy who helps her forget and the one who encourages her to remember, and ultimately heal.

Review: Maybe it's just me, but I thought this summary was quite misleading. After reading this summary I though Lipstick Apology was going to be centered around Emily going through her grief and accepting her parents death, and that there was a possibility of a love triangle (I'm a sucker for the triangles!). This, sadly, was not the case.

The one thing that bothered me was Emily. Of course she chose to "go out" with Owen (the jerk) because he "looks like a god" and makes her feel "worthy". And of course adorable Anthony gets stuck in the corner. 

The characters themselves felt flat. I didn't have a connection to any of them and this is possibly why I found the summary misleading. Also, there wasn't much about Emily's parents' death. Of course there were bits of chapters devoted to that and the mystery of her mom's apology, but overall it just seemed like a random thing that was thrown in. 

Trent was really the one thing that saved this book. He was hilarious and added so much comical relief

Overall, I liked the idea of Lipstick Apology, but in my book it fell short. The characters were flat and the lot didn't seem to have a clear direction. It did have good humor, though, which provided many a laughing outburst. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...