Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Small Town Sinners by Melissa Walker

Title: Small Town Sinners
Author: Melissa Walker
Published: July 19, 2011 by Bloomsbury
Pages: 259/Hardcover
Challenge: The Contemps
Source: bought



Summary: Lacey Anne Byer is a perennial good girl and lifelong member of the House of Enlightenment, the Evangelical church in her small town. With her driver's license in hand and the chance to try out for a lead role in Hell House, her church's annual haunted house of sin, Lacey's junior year is looking promising. But when a cute new stranger comes to town, something begins to stir inside her. Ty Davis doesn't know the sweet, shy Lacey Anne Byer everyone else does. With Ty, Lacey could reinvent herself. As her feelings for Ty make Lacey test her boundaries, events surrounding Hell House make her question her religion.


Review: I knew going into this book that there was going to be a lot of religion, and I was okay with that. I have my own beliefs that I'm comfortable and I respect other's beliefs. That being said I don't think it was the religion so much as the amount of it that made me not like this book very much. 


I generally don't read books with a lot of religion in them. It's just not my thing. Like some people read only mysteries and won't read horror. There was a lot of religion and church throughout the book and it became kind of monotonous after a while, but I did like learning about how other sects of Christianity worship. 


I really liked Lacey! She was a very strong characters who was strong in her faith, and even though she had her doubts she didn't lose all her faith simply because of her doubts. She learned that there's more than one way to look at things and the world's not always black and white. This growth of characters was very well written and progressed nicely throughout the book. Ty didn't do much for me, but I didn't see the book so much about him as it was about Lacey. I didn't like the relationship between Lacey and Ty. It just didn't work in my mind.


Small Town Sinners is a great book for teens/young adults who are going through a hard time finding themselves, and not just religiously. This book really shows that it's okay to admit that you have your doubts and you can even grow from them. 


More Books by Melissa Walker
Violet on the Runway
Violet By Design 
Violet in Private
Lovestruck Summer

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...