Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder

Title: The Probability of Miracles
Author: Wendy Wunder
Published: December 8, 2011 by Razorbill
Pages: 336/Hardcover
Challenge: 2011 Debut Author Challenge
Source: bought


Summary: Dry, sarcastic, sixteen-year-old Cam Cooper has spent the last seven years in and out hospitals. The last thing she wants to do in the short life she has left is move 1,500 miles away to Promise, Maine - a place known for the miraculous events that occur there. But it's undeniable that strange things happen in Promise: everlasting sunsets; purple dandelions; flamingoes in the frigid Atlantic; an elusive boy named Asher; and finally, a mysterious envelope containing a list of things for Cam to do before she dies. As Cam checks each item off the list, she finally learns to believe - in love, in herself, and even in miracles.


Review: This is by far one of my favorite books of 2011 if not of all time. I know that this review is not going to give this book the justice it deserves, but I’ll do my best.

The Probability of Miracles was amazing, to put it simply. The characters alone are proof of Wunder’s amazing writing ability. Each character had a complex history and personality. I felt like I could walk outside and meet any of the people from this book.

Cam was one of the strongest protagonists I’ve seen. She was also by far the most cynical. She was incredibly negative about the world, but throughout the story you see her learn to let go of her cynicism and live her life.

Asher was the sweetest guy I think any girl could ask for. He helped Cam learn to live and he didn’t treat her differently because of her disease. Not just Cam and Asher, but all of the characters played a special role in this story and brought it to life.

It takes a lot to make me cry over a book. I hardly ever do, but this book accomplished it. It was just so incredibly heartbreaking. The story really is like a slideshow. You can actually see Cam changing and learning to accept things and give hope a chance.

The ending is by far the saddest thing about the book, but I was surprised by how much I liked it. I feel like if there had been any other ending it wouldn’t have been as good or had the effect it had. The ending it has is really the only way to properly finish Cam’s story.

There is so much I’m leaving out of this review either because I don’t want to ruin the book or I’m too caught up in writing this review to remember, but you need to read The Probability of Miracles. There’s really no other book like it. It will make you laugh and cry, and I still haven’t done justice with this review.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...