Monday, June 27, 2011

The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder

Title: The Day Before
Author: Lisa Schroeder
Published: June 28, 2011 by Simon Pulse
Pages: 320/Hardcover
Challenge: The Contemps
Source: Simon & Schuster Galley Grab


Summary: Amber’s life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself. Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he’s also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets. The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she’s drawn to him. And the more she’s troubled by his darkness. Because Cade’s not just living in the now—he’s living each moment like it’s his last.


Review: This was the first book I've ever read that was written in verse. I didn't really see how writing in verse would affect the story, but I was quite surprised to see that it did. I felt a lot more of the emotions that Amber was feeling and I think that's in part to the story being written in verse.


One of the things that I really liked about The Day Before was that it takes place in one day. I don't think I've ever read a book that only spans one day, and I was happy to see that it wasn't depicted in an unrealistic way, and by that I mean everything that Amber and Cade did was possible to do in a day. 


Because the book was written in verse it went by really quickly despite its 320 pages, so I was a little concerned that I wouldn't have time to connect with the characters, but that wasn't a problem at all. Again I think it was because of the writing style, but even though I've never gone through anything like what Amber or Cade went through I felt like I could relate to them.


I thought that Amber and Cade had a very interesting relationship. Since the story does only span one day I thought it was strange how they went from strangers to being friends to being a couple, but then again they were both in tough situations and I think they related to each other in that way.


I thought the ending was perfect for the story, although it may have been a bit too optimistic for my liking, but overall it was a good ending to the story. This was my first time reading a book by Lisa Schroeder, but I quite enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a quick contemporary read. 


More Books by Lisa Schroeder 
I Heart You, You Haunt Me
Chasing Brooklyn
Far From You
Dear Bully

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...