Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Review: The Diamond Secret by Suzanne Weyn

(summary from goodreads) 


Nadya is a mischievous kitchen girl in a Russian tavern. Having nearly drowned in the Iset River during the turmoil of the Revolution, she has no memory of her past and longs for the life she cannot remember. 

Then two young men arrive at the tavern and announce that Nadya's long-lost grandmother has sent them to find her. Yearning for family and friendship, she agrees to accompany them to Paris for the joyful reunion. Nadya eagerly embarks on her journey, never dreaming it will be one of laughter, love—and betrayal


Review: There are two kinds of books that I will read no matter what. (1) Any kind of retelling of a fairy tale/classic story (like Mulan or Sleeping Beauty) and (2) Anything with Anastasia. I don't know why but I've always loved retellings and I just really like the story of Anastasia and all the different ways it's told.


That being said, this book was perfect for me. I loved Nadya and Ivan. Their adventures and travels were great to read and were, at times, funny. The historical-ness of it was also something that I loved. It made the story feel that much more real. 


Since it's a retelling it didn't deviate much from the story of Anastasia as far as who she is and her past. The book was well paced and there seemed to alway be something going on. It did have the overused "I only wanted the money, but then things changed" plot thread, but I still loved it. 


So overall, this was a great retelling as well as a great novel in general.   

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...