Monday, March 21, 2011

Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens

Title: Overprotected
Author: Jennifer Laurens
Published: February 9, 2011
Pages: 243/Paperback
Source: My personal library



Summary: Ashlyn: A lonely society princess living in New York City. 

Daddy hired you to be my bodyguard. 

Colin: Childhood enemy, now her protector. 

Daddy thought I’d be safe. He thought I’d never fall in love. He thought he could keep me forever. 

Charles: obsessed with keeping her safe, keeping her his, he hires the one person he knows she could never fall in love with: Colin. 

Daddy was wrong.

Review: I wouldn't say "cute" is the right word for this book, but it left me with the feeling that I usually get from a "cute" book. There wasn't anything that astounded me or left me completely in love with this book, but it was a quick and fun read.

Not a lot happened with the plot until the last half of the book. It was mainly Ashlyn living her overprotected life and wanting more freedom. The topic of her past kidnapping was only mentioned in short bursts and I wanted to know more about the event so that I could have a better understanding of why her dad treated her that way. 

Now I know that the whole point of this book was that Ashlyn's dad is too overprotective, but in the end it got to the point where it was unrealistic. I don't think anyone could be paranoid enough to do and expect those thing from their child. Of course I'm not a parent so maybe that is what parents expect. 

I liked Jennifer's writing style. It was easy to read and kept me interested even through the slow parts. Unfortunately the characters weren't so great. They all seemed flat to me with nothing really separating them from each other. I didn't see the connection between Ashlyn or Colin either. It seemed like Colin was just attractive so Ashlyn forgot about how much she hated him. 

Although the plot had its slow and unrealistic parts, and the characters weren't the best, Overprotected was still a fun and quick read that puts a knew spin on overbearing parents. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...