Thursday, March 24, 2011

Swoon by Nina Malkin

Title: Swoon
Author: Nina Malkin
Published: May 19, 2009 by Simon Pulse
Pages: 425/Hardcover
Series: Swoon #1
Source: My personal library



Summary: Torn from her native New York City and dumped in the land of cookie-cutter preps, Candice is resigned to accept her posh, dull fate. Nothing ever happens in Swoon, Connecticut...until Dice's perfect, privileged cousin Penelope nearly dies in a fall from an old tree, and her spirit intertwines with that of a ghost. His name? Sinclair Youngblood Powers. His mission? Revenge. And while Pen is oblivious to the possession, Dice is all too aware of Sin. She's intensely drawn to him -- but not at all crazy about the havoc he's wreaking. Determined to exorcise the demon, Dice accidentally sets Sin loose, gives him flesh, makes him formidable. Now she must destroy an even more potent -- and irresistible -- adversary, before the whole town succumbs to Sin's will. Only trouble is, she's in love with him.

What do you do when the boy of your dreams is too bad to be true?

Review: Swoon is one of those books that you either love or hate. I for one didn't love it.

I was constantly confused in this book. It seemed like something new was going on in every chapter and I had to continuously flip back through to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Also, and I know these things were meant to be happening because of Sin's powers or something like that, but where in the world do movies turned basement orgies come from?

The characters were also something that I had a hard time dealing with. I like that they had monosyllabic names, that added a little (that I could actually keep up with) to the story. However, there was absolutely no connection to any of the characters on my part. 

I think the plot could have been a good one if it had some more organization. Because so many things were happening I never really knew what the main point of the book was, and I'm still not that clear on it. 

It seems that Swoon has very vocal groups who both love and hate it. Although I don't love it I wouldn't say I hate it. It could have used some work on the plot, but besides that I think that it just wasn't my kind of book. Despite this I will probably read the sequel Swear in the hopes of gaining some more insight to the story, and because I love the cover! 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...