Friday, October 15, 2010

Review: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

(summary from goodreads)

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.

On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun - but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl.

Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself by Printz medalist John Green, acclaimed author of Looking for Alaska.


Review: This was the first John Green book I have ever read. Trust me, all those good things you here abut John Green are absolutely true!


Now see, I thought the "road trip" was supposed to be covering the entire book. Not just the first few chapters. So that in and of itself was a nice surprise.


Oh how I am in love with these characters. Hassan has to be my all time favorite fictional character. If not because he's funny, then because he loves Judge Judy. In 6th grade I went through a Judge Judy phase, only I outgrew it. Hassan, apparently, did not. Now Colin, there is an enigma for you. does being a prodigy have to make you socially inept? Because I feel like he hated being an outcast but he never really tried to make friends with the non-prodigies. and why did he only date Katherines? That's what I don't get. However, he was also a wonderful comedic relief at times. 


Pretty much, this book has it all. You'll laugh, you'll think, and you'll most likely learn something new!

1 comment:

StefanieEmmy said...

I had this one in my hands a few weeks ago on my regular visit to the bookshop, but I couldn't decide if I should take it with me or not. I definitely HAVE to read a John Green novel! Well, maybe it will be this one after all - if I'll ever be able to decide xD

Thanks for the review! An Abundance of Katherines is back on my wishlist thanks to you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...