Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Review: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along. 
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. 
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.


Review: Hush, Hush was one of those easy-to-read books. It had a pretty good plot to it, but the cover and the summary pretty much ruin any kind of mystery surrounding Patch. I went into this book already knowing "what" Patch was. That does not, however, make it any less enjoyable.


I thought this book went at a good pace and was happy to see Nora doing some research instead of waiting for answers. I also like that even thought I knew "what" Patch was there was still some mystery about if he was really after Nora. Like many other YA books the romance seemed rushed and was only possible because of some paranormal attraction one character felt or the other. 


Patch was written as the cliche bad boy. And even though he is a cliche, how can you not love him? Nora's friend, Vee, however, is not feeling the love from me. I'm not sure what I think of her yet. At times she made me laugh and then would do something that annoyed me to no end. 


Overall, Hush, Hush was a very entertaining read that didn't take a lot of brain power to figure out, but was fun none the less. My only question: What about the title? I still don't know if it's something that I missed in the book or if it's just supposed to sound cool.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I agree, Patch is a cliche, but I loved him nonetheless:) I really enjoyed reading this one (though I'm confused on the title as well) but I'm having a little trouble with Crescendo, I'll be interested to see what you think.

Anonymous said...

I'm about halfway through the audio and agree with you. Patch is a cliche. Vee is already annoying me and while Nora is into research and figuring things out, her falling for Patch and naivete is also a bit cliched. Still, I can understand the appeal. My teenage self would have loved this book. My old lady self wants a bit more. I'll finish the book and most likely read the next one though. ;-o

brenda

Katie Edwards said...

I quite enjoyed this in a read-and-forget sort of way, but did not like the sequel very much at all. I liked Patch, liked Vee, but found Nora a little bit annoying. Despite the advantage of having her narrating in first person, I didn't really feel I knew her or could identify with her.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...