Thursday, October 28, 2010

Review: My Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent

(summary from goodreads)

WHEN KAYLEE CAVANAUGH SCREAMS, SOMEONE DIES 
AND KAYLEE IS ABOUT TO SCREAM HER HEAD OFF... 

Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them. 

Until something does. 

Demon’s breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow, the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends—one of whom is already hooked. 

And when the epidemic hits too close to home, Kaylee will have to risk everything to save those she loves.


Review: This book definitely caused me more problems than it's predecessors did. It was a good continuation of the series and helped to set up the next book, but there were some major problems with the characters, in my eyes. 


Like the first two books, this one had a good, strong plot. But Kaylee and Nash were not as good. My first problem is with Kaylee. How could she not see that something was up with Nash? I could tell something was up before I was even 1/3 of the way through the book. And because it's in first person I assumed that Kaylee was noticing what I was noticing, i.e. Nash being sketchy. 


My second problem was with Nash. I understand why he was doing what he was, but his justification of it and its consequences did not fly with me. Sorry to be vague and confusing, but I don't want to spoil it. 


I was , however, happy to see Kaylee's dad being present more and acting like a dad. Tod is also a character I've grown to like. At first I wasn't too keen on him, but he's one of my favorites now. 


The fact that I saw flaws with this book makes it no less enjoyable. I still think it was a great read, and although the ending wasn't quite a cliff hanger it definitely made me reading for the next one. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...