Thursday, October 14, 2010

Review: By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters

(summary from goodreads)

Daelyn Rice is broken beyond repair, and after a string of botched suicide attempts, she's determined to get her death right. She starts visiting a website for "completers"- www.through-the-light.com. 

While she's on the site, Daelyn blogs about her life, uncovering a history of bullying that goes back to kindergarten. When she's not on the Web, Daelyn's at her private school, where she's known as the freak who doesn't talk.

Then, a boy named Santana begins to sit with her after school while she's waiting for her parents to pick her up. Even though she's made it clear that she wants to be left alone, Santana won't give up. And it's too late for Daelyn to be letting people into her life. Isn't it?


Review: BTTYRTIBE (my abbreviation, aren't I clever?) was one of those books that I pick up and can't put down (even if it's one in the morning) because I HAVE to know what happens. It's not that there's endless action, it's the lack of action that kept me enthralled. So many questions to be answered! Will she go through with it? Why can't she talk? What caused her to get t this point? 


The characters definitely had a part in making the book as good as it was. It was a constant mystery to me why Daelyn couldn't talk. And even though she was completely silent throughout the book, I still felt that her voice was there through the post on the forums she went on and through her internal narration. While I didn't know much about Santana until the end he did provide a little lightness to the over all sad and almost depressing feel of the book.


The ending, and thus the answers to the above mentioned questions, did not disappoint. In fact, this whole book didn't disappoint. I'm afraid that by giving specifics I may spoil it, so just know that this book was very good.


Now I do have some questions, and like all of my questions the possibility of spoilers is there. So be warned!
(1) How could Daelyn's parents not see what was going on?!
(2) Was Daelyn's feeling contaminated related to her wanting to commit suicide?
(3) Why didn't she talk until the end? 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...