Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

Title: The Goddess Test
Author: Aimee Carter
Published: April 19, 2011 by Harlequin Teen 
Pages: 297/Paperback
Series: Goddess Test #1
Source: e-ARC from published and NetGalley
Challenge: 2011 Debut Author Challenge 



Summary: Every girl who has taken the test has died. 

Now it's Kate's turn.
 

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall. 

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests. 

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess. 

If she fails...


Review: I've always really enjoyed Mythology, so I was excited to read The Goddess Test. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it was still really good. 

The Goddess Test had elements of Greek Mythology as far as the gods went, but there wasn't a real emphasis or focus on the mythology. It was more surrounding Kate and her passing the tests. 

At first the plot was a little obscure. I wasn't sure if it was about Kate passing the tests or finding out who was killing the other girls or trying to save Kate's mom. After a few chapters though it straightened out and I saw where it was going.

I really liked Kate. She seemed like a really strong girl who still had her weaknesses and vulnerabilities. I was expecting a little more from Henry, but he was an okay character. There's nothing very memorable about him, but he was still a good character.

The ending was quite surprising to me. I really didn't think that the person who did it was the person who did it (if that makes sense). And the twist as to who were gods and goddesses was also quite a surprise. I thought the ending wrapped up nicely and left me very satisfied with the story. I'm not quite sure where the sequel's going to go with the story, but hopefully it's just as good as The Goddess Test. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...