- Dog earing pages. I have gotten increasingly better at this. I hate to see the pages of my books all torn and bent, so I've trained myself to either use a book mark or remember what page I'm on.
- Not finishing books. This usually applies to books I get at the library. I'm a mood reader so when I'm looking for a book at the store or library I might really want to read it when I'm looking at it. But somewhere between buying/checking out the book my mood for it dies and I forget about it and it ends up in the sad pile of forgotten books on my shelf :(
- Leaving dust jackets on the floor to get trampled and crushed. I hate reading hardcover books with the dust jacket on so I take it off and either put it on my bookshelf or on my bedside table. this usually leads to it falling on the floor and thus getting trampled and torn. I need to start either putting it on top of my shelves or remembering to put it back on the book when I finish it.
- Skipping to the end. I'm ashamed to say it, but I do sometimes skip to the end of a book and see how it ends. I blame my pitiful will power for this. It's in a boring/slow or really tension filled point in the book that I simply can't take it and I must know what happens. I have been getting better at this and I see a big difference in my enjoyment of a book if I wait for the end, but my will power is still weak. CURSE YOU WILL POWER!
- Bending the spines on paperbacks. This isn't really something I worry about that much. It's more of an annoyance because I like for all of my books to look pretty on my bookshelves.
So now you know a few of my shameful dirty little secrets when it comes to things I do to my books. How about you guys? Do you all harbor any bad book habits?