Thursday, May 5, 2011

Die For Me by Amy Plum

Title: Die For Me
Author: Amy Plum
Published: May 10, 2011 by Harper Teen
Pages: 352/Hardcover

Series: Revenants #1
Source: e-ARC from publisher and NetGalley
Challenge: 2011 Debut Author Challenge



Summary: DIE FOR ME is the first of three books about Kate, a sixteen-year-old American who moves to Paris after the death of her parents. It introduces a new version of the undead with revenants, beings who are fated to sacrifice themselves over and over again to save others’ lives. Kate finds herself falling for Vincent, who she discovers is not the typical French teenager he appears: he is something else entirely. 

DIE FOR ME presents a new supernatural mythology presented in a city where dreams are sometimes the same as reality.


Review: Die For Me is a book that anyone who likes the paranormal genre should read. It had such an original and fast moving plot it was very hard to put down.

I thought the idea behind Die For Me was quite original. We've seen books go through the vampire and werewolf genres, but I've never seen Revenants. I loved learning about them along with Kate and thought they were well thought out and explained beings. I also like the fact that for once a paranormal being gets to be known for saving people, not trying to stop themselves from killing them.

Two of the things that made me love this book was its setting and the relationship between Kate and Vincent. I love Paris and would love even more to go there someday, so I liked that this book took place there and that I learned about it too. Some books are just located somewhere and you don't know much about it. But with Die For Me Kate told a little about the history of Paris and some personal stories of when she had been younger in Paris. 

The relationship between Kate and Vincent was very good for the first book in the series. At first I didn't see the chemistry, they actually went out on dates and didn't commit to being the we're-so-in-love couple right off the bat. It actually took Kate a while to gain those strong feelings for Vincent, and I'm not sure they even use the L-word in reference to their relationship. I think this gave them more time to develop as a couple and as characters.

The characters themselves were great. I can see myself being friends wit just about any of them, and I thought it was easy to connect with them because they seemed like any other teenagers (despite their paranormal-ness of course).

Overall Die For Me was fast moving book that had good plot and character development and would be great for paranormal fans or those who like a good romance.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...