Saturday, May 14, 2011

Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz

Title: Invincible Summer
Author: Hannah Moskowitz
Published: April 19, 2011 by Simon Pulse
Pages: 269/Paperback
Source: Bought


Summary: Noah’s happier than I’ve seen him in months. So I’d be an awful brother to get in the way of that. It’s not like I have some relationship with Melinda. It was just a kiss. Am I going to ruin Noah’s happiness because of a kiss? 

Across four sun-kissed, drama-drenched summers at his family’s beach house, Chase is falling in love, falling in lust, and trying to keep his life from falling apart. But some girls are addictive.... 


Review: You've probably heard it other places, but this is definitely not a fluffy beach read. If you want a fun book to bring to the beach this is not it. Invincible Summer tackles some very tough issues and shows the ugly side of real life.


I want to first say that the summary is a tad misleading. By saying "some girls are addictive" I was expecting this to be a story about Noah and Chase's relationship with Melinda, but it wasn't so much about that relationship as it was about their lives and growing up. 


The dynamics of Chase's family were so complex that I found myself lost a lot of the time. I wouldn't know what was really going on or why some of the characters were acting the way they were. I never understood why Noah would just leave, and even after the explanation I never understood why what happened between Chase and Melinda happened. 


I liked that the book took place over four summers and only in the summer time. It was so interesting to see how everyone had changed from summer to summer. 


I think a big aspect of this book is growing up. It shows that it's hard growing up and things are going to happen. You're not going to always like it and you're probably going to hate a lot of it, but your family is there for a reason, and even if you blame them for stuff they're still your family and you still love them. I think that's what this book was about, and if it's not, well then too bad because that's what I got out of it!


Overall, Invincible Summer was hard to read at times. It makes you feel the real things that the characters are feeling. It tells a story that's truthful in how life works and how a family can fall apart. It didn't always flow smoothly for me, but it had a very powerful effect and I would recommend it for those of you who enjoy edgy/powerful YA books.


More Books by Hannah Moskowitz
Break
Gone, Gone, Gone
Zombie Tag

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...