Friday, May 13, 2011

Then I Met My Sister by Christine Hurley Deriso

Title: Then I Met My Sister
Author: Christine Hurley Deriso
Published: April 8, 2011 by Flux
Pages: 264/Paperback
Source: Bought


Summary: Shannon has been the backdrop of my life since the moment I was born.


Summer Stetson lives inside a shrine to her dead sister. Eclipsed by Shannon's greatness, Summer feels like she's a constant disappointment to her controlling, Type A momzilla and her all-too-quiet dad. Her best friend Gibson believes Summer's C average has more to do with rebelliousness than smarts, but she knows she can never measure up—academically or otherwise.

On her birthday, Summer receives a secret gift from her aunt: Shannon's diary. Suddenly, the one-dimensional vision of her sister becomes all too solid. Is this love-struck, mom-bashing badass the same Shannon everyone raves about? Determined to understand her troubled sister, Summer dives headfirst down a dark rabbit hole and unearths painful family secrets. Each revelation brings Summer closer to the mysterious and liberating truth about her family—and herself.

Review: SUCH AN AWESOME BOOK! I love love love this book! It was wonderful and everyone should read it.

I loved Summer from the very first page. She was funny and sarcastic and full of spunk! She is the character that I'm always dying to read and hardly ever get to. She showed that yes she was rebelling against her mom but she was also sensitive and had actual emotions besides anger and sarcasm (is that an emotion?) when she was "meeting" her sister. 

The relationship between Summer and her mom was especially nice to read. I could see it developing and evolving from where it started out in the beginning. I also felt like there was a relationship between Summer and Shannon. As Summer read more of Shannon's journal she learned more about who her sister was and, even thought Shannon was dead, I think she formed a special kind of relationship with her.

I love to see couples who start out as friends because then I know that they actually know each other and have stuff in common and there's an actual reason for them being together. That couple was Summer and Gibs. They were just so cute together and, as I said in the previous sentence, you could see why they liked each other, and they actually seemed very good as a couple.

Then I Met My Sister can be quite emotional one second and then very funny the next. It shows the evolution of relationships wonderfully and is filled with amazing characters. I can honestly say I have nothing bad to say about this book. I think it's one of those that everyone should read. It's just that good. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...