Monday, January 17, 2011

Review: Prisoners in the Palace by Michaela MacColl

(summary and cover from goodreads)


London, 1838. Sixteen-year-old Liza's dreams of her society debut are dashed when her parents are killed in an accident. Penniless, she accepts the position of lady's maid to young Princess Victoria and steps unwittingly into the gossipy intrigue of the servant's world below-stairs as well as the trickery above. Is it possible that her changing circumstances may offer Liza the chance to determine her own fate, find true love, and secure the throne for her future queen?

Meticulously based on newly discovered information, this riveting novel is as rich in historical detail as Catherine, Called Birdy, and as sizzling with intrigue as The Luxe.

Review: If you like historical fiction you will love this book. It was wonderful! One of the best historical fiction novels I've read in a while. 

I loved Liza! She had a hard time adapting to her being a maid which made her easy for me to connect with because it gave some real emotion. She came from upper society and was privileged. But when that was taken away she had a hard time adjusting but she did it because she had to. Also, she didn't back down from tough situations. She knew what was right and was going to fight for it. 


Inside Boy was a wonderful little guy. He added some humor to the story and also helped to show what it was like in the palace when no one knows you're there. I felt like Will was in the story but at the same time it felt like he wasn't. His character didn't seem as developed as it could have been, So when he was mentioned or was in a scene I felt more like he was just being mentioned than actually being there (I know, I'm confusing). 


The great thing about this book was its historical aspect. Michaela did a great job with her research, and I particularly like the journal entries from Liza and Victoria. One thing that really endeared this book to me was the romance. I liked that it didn't dominate the story. The princess's problems were in the forefront and the romance was a bit of a side story. But even being a side story it seemed very well developed, for being a courtship in the 1800's, that is. I was definitely not expecting the ending as far as who was helping Sir John and the Duchess. 


So overall this was a very well written historical fiction novel with well pretty rounded characters and a great plot that never seems dull.   


Source: My personal library

Published: September 1, 2010 by Chronicle Books 

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Great review! This is definitely on my TBR pile, I've hears some fantastic things about it.

Small Review said...

Great review! I love historical fiction so this one is a must-read for me :)

Saba said...

HEY! im ur newest follower and i love ur blog, its really cool! I'd love it if u would visit my blog at www.sabaawesome.blogspot.com, thanks!

Unknown said...

Great review :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...