Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Review: You Wish by Mandy Hubbard

Title: You Wish
Author: Mandy Hubbard
Published: August 5, 2010 by Razorbill 
Pages: 284/Paperback 
Overall: 3 out of 5


Summary: Kayla McHenry's sweet sixteen sucks! Her dad left, her grades dropped, and her BFF is dating the boy Kayla's secretly loved for years. Blowing out her candles, Kayla thinks: I wish my birthday wishes actually came true. Because they never freakin' do.

Kayla wakes the next day to a life-sized, bright pink My Little Pony outside her window. Then a year's supply of gumballs arrives. A boy named Ken with a disturbing resemblance to the doll of the same name stalks her. As the ghosts of Kayla's wishes-past appear, they take her on a wild ride . . . but they MUST STOP. Because when she was fifteen? She wished Ben Mackenzie would kiss her. And Ben is her best friend's boyfriend.

Review: You Wish was such a fun book! It was fast moving, had great characters, and it had a wonderfully original plot.

This is the first book I've ever read where birthday wishes actually come true, and the originality of the book alone made me love it. I wish there had been a little more explanation as to how the wishes were granted as well as a little more character development, but overall I loved this book.

Kayla was so funny. I enjoyed reading all about her adventures with Nicole and loved the fact that their friendship was realistic. It had its problems and they grew apart a bit, but being the friends they are, they made it work. I wanted to know more about Ben. He was in the book quite a bit, but I didn't feel any kind of connection to him or like I knew him at all. 

I think it took Kayla a bit longer than necessary to figure out what was going on, but hey, magically having your wished granted wouldn't really be that high up on my list of possible explanations for weird things happening. 

Over all this was a very fast fun read. It had a bit of everything: romance, friendship, family, and magical birthday wishes. It was well written and paced and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fast funny read. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...